Thursday, August 12, 2010

Rice (and Quinoa, Buckwheat, or Oats) Cooker


If anyone has ever heard me speak about quinoa, you know it is one of my favorite foods to discuss. Although its quick stove top cooking time (15 minutes) is one of the reasons I speak so highly of this little grain, I am now even more impressed with the ease of preparing quinoa. I threw it into my rice cooker last week and it produced a fluffy, hands-off side dish in no time at all. I didn't have to watch for overflowing pots as the water began to boil and I didn't have to turn the heat down when it was time to simmer!

In an age of multi-tasking and eating on the go, a rice cooker is the perfect household gadget. Searching online, I found cookers ranging from a small 6-cup cooker for under $15 dollars to a high-tech rice machine for over $300. I am spreading the benefits of a rice cooker in hopes that you will venture out of your white rice comfort zone and try a new whole grain. Search your local grocery store for millet, quinoa, buckwheat groats (aka kasha), steel cut or Irish oatmeal, teff, or amaranth. Most grains can be cooked using a simple 2:1 ratio of liquid (water or a low sodium vegetable broth are my suggestions) to grain. Add some flavorful spices such as cumin or smoked paprika or saute some garlic and onions for a ton of great flavor (and aroma!).

Check out these helpful cookbooks for more great rice/grain cooker ideas!

Did I mention that quinoa has all the essential amino acids...?

No comments: